Friday, April 1, 2011

Well, here they come


That's the end of my alley.  I dog walked down there via the street, and here's what's behind that equipment:


They have already made one pass through the alley -- there goes my weed stop fabric...


I am trying to be grown up about it, and to remember that it is an asset to my house to have new sewer pipes and drainage pipes, even though I have no idea what they are draining...  but it's challenging.  I was out doing yoga in the back this morning and my solitude was abruptly interrupted with that loud beeping noise that trucks make when they back up, and that was accompanied by a lot of men's voices.  Ah.  Time to pack it up and go inside.

Last evening I dug up about a dozen little yellow wildflower plants out of the alley and transplanted them into a flower bed near the fence.  It looked like I got all of the main tap roots without damage, but I'm not sure they will make it.  But gosh if they came up from last year in mostly crummy soil with almost no water, they surely ought to thrive in their new location!

I had a big piece of flagstone outside my gate in the alley, and I moved that to inside the gate as well.  Sort of like pulling in your welcome mat... 

In the spirit of optimism, I am day dreaming about what to do/plant in the alley this Fall when they are done.  I may or may not put weed stop fabric down again.  Scattering seed would be the most economical, but what type of seed?  (Just had a horrid thought -- certainly they won't PAVE the alley when they are done, will they?!)  I would love a big field of mint, but it would get expensive pretty fast.  I wonder if mint grows from seed....?  Hmmmm...

No comments: