Monday, August 17, 2009

May/June 2009: Mantle - changed the room!




The mantle also had a jillion coats of clumpy paint on it. First I went to a store that had natural wood mantles at a reasonable price and was really disappointed to realize that my mantle support wasn't a common size. (Shocking! Not.) I was going to strip it and refinish it (recall the baseboards?) I got home from the "mantle store" sort of distressed, and I had a conversation with Vic about refinishing it, whereupon he wrinkled his nose at me and advised against it. (And to be honest, there was nothing fabulous about the existing mantle features.) He instructed me to go to Home Depot, buy a 1x12 and some crown molding that appealed to me, and that afternoon I had a new mantle! I was giddy. Vic is the master. While we were at it, he replaced the trim on either side of the fireplace since it was off. The natural wood mantle vs. the white painted one really was a room changer!

Eventually I'd like to put up crown molding around the ceiling in the living and dining rooms.

No comments: