Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Raised Beds Sprouting

I planted some vegetables in my raised beds back on March 28th -- a little over a week ago.  A few days ago I noticed that I had sprouts!  That's pretty rapid germination.  Yay!  Unfortunately when my backyard dream team was here, they got overly enthusiastic and topped off all my raised beds with additional organic compost.  I had just turned my back for a moment... and everything was buried.  I sort of freaked out.  My poor little sprouts!

Today I saw that they had stretched their little necks up through the new layer of soil:





I know, they are tiny.  They will grow fast, though.  The marigold borders have started coming up too.  Considering that in the last two nights I ate an entire bunch of kale (yes, 2 nights, 2 bunches) I am supremely excited about the kale coming up.  I make a raw kale salad recipe from Wholefoods:

Raw kale, de-ribbed
Olive oil
Fresh lemon juice
Sea salt (I used an herbed sea salt with chiles that Santa brought me)
Red pepper flakes - a lot of them
Fresh minced garlic

You just mix up the dressing and coat the kale pieces in it.  I seriously sit on the couch and eat it with my fingers like it is a bag of chips. No guilt there.  I read recently that kale has the highest vitamin content of any leafy vegetable.  I have no idea if that is true...

No comments: