Monday, October 31, 2011

It's the little things

I picked up many attributes from my dad, the most notable of which are a love of reading and a can-do attitude.  I spent hours with him in the barn as a young girl, helping him (well I thought I was helping, I won't ask him about his perspective) with projects.  I have a vivid memories of watching him work the wood lathe.  He made a candlestick for my mother, which is still in their living room at home.  I have always loved it; maybe because I watched my dad bring it to life from a tree limb. 

What I didn't remember was that he also made one a matching one for his sister.  When she passed away, I was fortunate enough to get it:


Isn't it lovely?  So graceful.  It holds such fond memories for me of family, a cozy home in the winter, and being out in the barn with dad, wood chips flying. It's one of my favorite things.

No comments: