Monday, May 16, 2011

A couple of random items...

The buckwheat I planted as a cover crop in the backyard is in full bloom -- pretty and functional...  I don't know how long it blooms...


Along the topic of cover crops and preventing erosion, I am planning to have a load of composite (crushed) granite delivered soon.  I need to figure out how many yards I need, and I really need my sprained ankle to totally heal before I start heaving shovels full of granite around the yard!   The miminum commercial delivery is 4 yards... and/but due to the weight, the most a private pick up truck can haul is half a yard; I expect I would need a minimum of 4 trips with a pick up truck; not efficient.  I plan to spread it thinly everywhere that is currently dirt.  It looks nice, it packs in easily, and when I'm ready to plant in an area where it is I can just rake it back.  I'm a bit weary of mud... I think it will really change the overall face of my backyard, too -- and make it all feel more pulled together.  At least, I hope. 

This oak tree is a gift from my neighborhood squirrels.  Usually I yank them out because there are SO many of them, but this one is in a good location along the side fence; I'm going to try to keep it.

I've been researching fruit trees to plant in my parkways in the front.  Among the options is a peach tree... or a honey jar jujube (here's an article...  http://www.texasgardener.com/pastissues/janfeb08/Jujube.html), a 4-in 1 grafted apple tree, or an olive tree!  Doesn't that sound fab??  I did some reading about how to brine olives and it doesn't sound difficult.  Time consuming, but not difficult.  I am still considering a hardwood -- I figure my huge pecan tree will be gone someday and I want to have a replacement "up and coming" but I am also trying to only plant edible plants*, or plants that produce something edible -- so now I am undecided.

I am pretty sure I'd like a Celeste fig tree for the backyard somewhere. They are a pretty tree and everything I've read says they are easy to grow in Texas -- and fresh figs!  I'd like to thank Dallas Fruit and Vegetable Grower for helpful advice!  http://www.dallasfruitgrower.typepad.com/

*  Coming up -- I'll tell you about a great book on that topic that I bought this weekend...

No comments: