Monday, January 10, 2011

Little Cabin in the Woods

Saturday was a big day:  I got to use my new compressor and nail gun that Santa brought me.  Red and I loaded up and went to Lowe's where I bought 26 cedar fence pickets.  We trimmed them to fit, and nailed them up on my TV wall.  I have to say I'd heartily recommend this make over!  It was inexpensive, and at least for a few days my living room smells like aromatic cedar! 

Here is a progression of photos...

First, here is a corner of what the wall currently looked like.  Things to note... (1)  very white wall, with lovely paint testing patches.  (2)  A very stark, rather large TV stuck in the middle of the wall.  (3)  An embarrassingly feeble attempt to temporarily blend the TV electricals cords into oblivion.  (4) Part of the bench below, sans cushions.





So first the TV had to come down.  I loathe having to move the TV; I'm always afraid that I am going to drop it, rendering myself without HGTV.


Next, we held up a few boards to see what it would look like, and as I'd feared, the white wall was going to show through between the pickets.  A trip to my newly organized shop quickly produced a can of reject paint from a past project.  (It was rejected because to me it looked like baby poop brown --it's been a while, but I guess soon enough I'll be reminded -- and no, it's not my baby!)  Regardless of my previous judgment of the color, it was perfect for this project!  The paint job didn't have to be stellar, just enough to soften the white:


Lovely, no?  No.   But stay with me.

Then the pickets went up!  And the TV came back, the bench came back... and


We still have to place one more picket above the alarm system key pad, and I think we'll put a piece of trim along the ceiling to hide the ends.    The nail gun made this project supremely fast and easy (and fun!)  Between this and the new paint, my living room is all warm and cozy.  Red summed it all up:  "She finally has the cabin she's always wanted."  It's true!  I just love it!  I think he's afraid that I'll do the entire house in cedar pickets...



No comments: