Thursday, September 16, 2010

And I thought I was so clever!

So the how-to-camouflage-my-TV dilemma continues. I somewhat shamefully admit that one of my first purchases after I moved in was an enormous television set. Red did a beautiful job hanging it on the wall for me, and I do love it. However, the black beauty is very stark on my (still) white wall. And it is rather an attention getter in my livingroom, which I admit is unfortunate. And so, I've been crafting up clever ways (nearly weekly) to soften it. Friends and neighbors have contributed many ideas, and good ol' HGTV fills my head with dreamy DIY options.

Among the discussions:
Big movie theatre drapes (dust collectors - discard)

Those sliding ceiling/wall panels from IKEA (side view of the TV still visible - discard.)

Build a faux entertainment center (complicated, and visually too heavy - discard.)

Build a wall bookcase on the whole wall, and surround the TV (meh - discard)

Relocate the TV (what?!  No!  LOL - discard.)

Which brings us to last week's idea which is still viable. And made even more viable now that I have seen it done elsewhere!   This is a bulletin board at the Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity's Restore:





Being the tree-hugger that I am, of course I love it.  I figure a back panel for the wall... (color?) and then slice up some logs, get some wood glue, and....?  Yes?  No?  And, I could creatively stack them to make them a little more 3D and give me a sneaky way to hide the cords.  I'm diggin' it.  And doesn't it seem green and economical?

One of my neighbors told me about a huge tree that has been cut down not far from here -- as in much-too- large-to-put-your-arms-around kind of large -- and said wouldn't THAT be cool, to have really large diameter slices??  Definitely.  But who would I hire to slice them for me?  The pieces of trunk would be ridiculously heavy (ahem, speaking from previous experience) nor do I have a saw blade anywhere near large enough to cleanly slice through anything like that.  It would be uber cool, but I suspect the economical portion of it would rapidly fade.

No comments: