Thursday, September 16, 2010

Color Me Happy

I have the best neighbors.  Of course, I already knew that.  Yesterday evening 2 of my neighbors (and then it became 3, and then 4 and 5...) descended upon my house and finished painting my dining room.  In fact, not only did they finish the two remaining walls, but they went back and touched up my painting on the previous two walls!  I thought I had done a fine job... I'm an experienced painter... I tape, and use drop cloths, and... well, and my efforts paled considerably next to these two.  Free hand painting, no blue tape and just beautiful work. 

Painting walls in a house as old as mine is somewhat challenging:  The trim around doors and windows in addition to having an obscene number of layers of paint on them (read, "lumpy edges") is also sort of half sunk down into the sheetrock.  That makes it tricky to choose what line you are going to follow denoting where the trim ends and the wall begins.

Nonetheless, for a  mere $17 in delivered dinner, at the end of the evening I was presented with this:




It was sort of hard to get decent photos this morning; I probably should have waited until afternoon to have better light. And then I had to aim strategically to avoid capturing all of my dishes from my kitchen cabinets in the photo -- not asthetically pleasing -- and I was not entirely successful. I think though, that in the end it's enough to give you an idea of what it looks like.

I used Martha Stewart low VOC paint and the color is Clove. We all agreed that it was sort of a thin consistency that made it a little drippy, but it dried quickly and 2 coats did the job over a white wall. Clean up was freakishly easy. Martha has a couple of things going for her.

I saw the paint crew while on my dog walk this morning. One asked me how the dining room looked this morning (fab) and was I happy with it? (Yes.) The other one asked me if we were going to knock out painting my livingroom walls before my company arrives on Wednesday (unlikely -- I haven't even chosen a color!) But you've gotta admire that enthusiasm.

No comments: