Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Well... FAIL.

The weed tarping project, which I wrote about a few posts back, was, as predicted, a fail.  I pulled the tarps back Monday evening after having them down for about a week and really not much had changed.  There was a tiny bit of yellowing, but that's it.

I knew a lot of rain was coming, and those weeds were just covered in seed heads.  If I couldn't easily kill them, I at least could prevent them from reproducing!  So out came the mower.  I mowed, and I bagged all the clippings = millions of weed seeds.  I hated it.  I hated that after  all my labor clearing the lawn out last summer I had something to mow besides my dog's little rectangle of turf.  Drat it all anyway.  But that's what I get for not following through and getting the rest of the composite granite down.


Okay so it isn't a massive area.  And, the dog is really pleased with it -- in her mind I'm sure it's all just a special place for her!  I'll need to decide what is next. 

I suspect it involves my tiller and a huge bag of wildflower seed... but it could involve a tiller and a cover crop.  Or it may involve sand and composite granite, too.  I don't know.  Waaaah.

No comments: