The weed tarping project, which I wrote about a few posts back, was, as predicted, a fail. I pulled the tarps back Monday evening after having them down for about a week and really not much had changed. There was a tiny bit of yellowing, but that's it.
I knew a lot of rain was coming, and those weeds were just covered in seed heads. If I couldn't easily kill them, I at least could prevent them from reproducing! So out came the mower. I mowed, and I bagged all the clippings = millions of weed seeds. I hated it. I hated that after all my labor clearing the lawn out last summer I had something to mow besides my dog's little rectangle of turf. Drat it all anyway. But that's what I get for not following through and getting the rest of the composite granite down.
Okay so it isn't a massive area. And, the dog is really pleased with it -- in her mind I'm sure it's all just a special place for her! I'll need to decide what is next.
I suspect it involves my tiller and a huge bag of wildflower seed... but it could involve a tiller and a cover crop. Or it may involve sand and composite granite, too. I don't know. Waaaah.