I decided to build it as an interim piece. A quick, (with Red's help) zip-it-together rustic table.
When I started laying out the pieces for sizing and pre-assembly, I realized that I didn't have the right size lumber for the criss-cross legs. The wood needed to be thicker to allow for notching at the cross.
I flipped through my mental rolodex* of other small tables I've seen, and remembered this one that I had also flagged on Pinterest:
I brushed off the dirt with a stiff bristle brush before assembly. Once built, I hit the exposed sides with a sander, wiped it down with a damp rag, let it dry, and then put on a coat of stain with polyeurethane already in it. I let it dry and heaved it (and I do mean "heave" -- it's heavy!) into the dining room. I still need to put felt feet under it to protect my floors.
It will be perfect as a rustic sideboard in my dining room! I'm having a bunch of girlfriends over on Thursday night this week and it will be the perfect opportunity to break it in. I'll probably drape it with burlap and a little ribbon and pinecones to give it that holiday touch. When I finally do save enough lumber for what I really want in this room, I'll re-purpose this to someplace else. Maybe I'll get a horse -- it looks like it could be a decent hitching post...
* I still have my rolodex from the 80's on my office bookshelf -- it's retro!