Friday, July 15, 2011

My House - the 1940's

Back in May, I posted about the history of my house in the 1930's.

I sort of forgot I'd planned to take you through the decades... oops.  At any rate, here are the 1940's!

February 16, 1941
I found this newspaper posting:

The Mount Auburn Preschool PTA Association will meet at 10:00 a.m. at the home of Mrs. Nettie, with Mrs. Sanders and Mrs. Martin as co-hostesses.  Founders Day will be observed.  Miss Sara will speak on Government.  Luncheon will be served and a nurse will care for the children.

A nurse was on hand for the children -- isn't that funny?

August 20, 1942
And then sadly, I found an obituary for Nettie's husband Scott --  known to his friends as "Buck."  It reads,

"Funeral services for Scott, 47, veteran member of the Dallas Police Department who died suddenly at his home, will be conducted Friday morning ... He was a fingerprint expert in the police department's bureau of identification.  He joined the force in 1919 as a patrolman and was transffered to identification in 1927.  He was a native of De Berry, Panola County.  Active in church and lodge work, he was a member of the Gaston Avenue Bapsits church, the Washington Masonic Lodge, Hella Temple Shrine and the Scottish Rite.  Surviving are his wife Nettie, a son, a daughter, and two sisters." 

It then lists the names of the pallbearers and says that all members of the DPD will be honorary pallbearers.  I wish the newspaper had included a photograph. 

I think back in the 40's it wasn't all that unusual for people to die at home; although since it says he "died suddenly" it wasn't from an injury or old age, so ...  When I researched my house, I also researched the house next door, and a resident died in that house as well, in the same year.   When I told my neighbor about it, she freaked out.  I don't know... it doesn't bother me, I guess, knowing someone passed away in my house.  :::shrug:::  I may even go find John's headstone...

I had found a mention that they had one child, but not if it was a boy or a girl.  This obit confirms two children.  It gives their names... When I pick up my research again I may see where they are these days.

November 3, 1943
I located a newspaper article about John G. who in 1944 rented a room from Nettie (along with his wife.)  The article reads,

Washington (UP)  Fourteen wounded American soldiers, the first to be repatriated from Germany under an agreement for the exchange of sick and wounded prisoners, arrived by plane at the National Airport Tuesday night and were tranferred immediately to Walter Reed General Hospital.  Their arrival was announced by the War Department which gave no further details.  The men, returned to this country by way of Sweden and Britain, last were reported in Londer about a week ago.  They were taken from German prison camps at gotesborg, Sweden, and transferred to Britain aboard a vessel which sailed under safe conduct.  The men included Tech. Sergt. John G., son of ... from Yoakum, Texas."

I had found previous articles about John where he was on furlough and was visiting his parents.  He had been training in radio, signal and television in Fresno, CA.  Several other men were featured in the article, "Fightin' Men -- News of Texans in U.S. Service," and there were photos of many, but alas, none of John.  He went on to advanced radio training at Camp Crowder in Missouri.  He had previously graduated from Adamson High School and was a former employee of North American Aviation.

John G. and his wife Reba moved into the house.  They were not the owners; presumably rented it from Nettie.  John worked as a clerk at the Federal Reserve Bank - Dallas. 

1947 - 1948
Mrs. Nettie moved back into the house alone; she owned the house. She took as job as a lunch room worker at Long Junior High School. John also lived in the house. (I suspect he rented the front room, which is now my guest room.  It has its own front door, and at some point there was a sink in the closet.)  At this point there isn't any mention of John's wife Reba.

1948 - 1949
Nettie Stroud lived in the house, but John Gardner had moved out. Nettie continued to work in the school lunch room.

I think about how Nettie's life changed when her husband Scott died.  She rented out the front room, and took a job at the school; presumably needing income.  It's sort of sad.  She is clearly the one person who lived in my house the longest of anyone -- I think of it as her house.  I think she must have been happy here, to have stayed so long.  Of course, that could just be me, projecting....  :::grin::::

No comments: