Monday, November 22, 2010

Little Seedlings

The Hairy Vetch has sprouted!  You can see where the blank spaces are... there could have been a romping dog re-dispersing the seeds... (Oh!  And there she is in the photo -- I didn't even see her at first!  LOL)



Our weather has been so warm -- although windy -- it's been supreme for the seedlings.  I can only hope the raspberries adjacent are equally happy underneath their layers of compost and cedar mulch.  I've been dutifully watering them by hand with buckets of rain water.

I mulched quite a lot of leaves this weekend.  I spread them over my raspberries, and down my side yard.  When they decompose they'll provide great nitrogen for the soil which is hard to come by in the winter.  I don't think my side yard has ever had any love, so any soil amendments I can give it before I start working that area (hopefully next year) will be beneficial.

I sat in the back yard this weekend having morning coffee and updating my garden journal.  I don't think I had written in it since May!  Oops!  I was able to write follow ups on plants that I had planted in the Spring -- did they thrive or not, what were their issues, etc.  I'm still learning what my sun and soil are at this house, so I hope that documenting will help me out in the Spring, when my brain is addled from hiding under an afghan all winter.

No comments: