Monday, September 20, 2010

Texas Mountain Laurel


They look like some type of exotic berry to me... but they are Texas Mountain Laurel seeds.  The girl who colors my hair gave them to me.  Instructions are to score them, soak them overnight, and plant.  I tried various implements to score them -- serrated trimming knife, a box cutter, a huge serrated bread knife -- to no avail.  Their outer shell is SO hard!  It's like ceramic... I could try to score them after they soak, but that defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Here's what Google tells me the blossom will look like:


And then the whole plant... sorry, the photo came out sort of small.



So we'll see how this goes.  If they grow, I'll be giving some of them away, because I do not have room for 8 trees!  She also said she is going to bring me seeds for climbing spinach.  Never heard of it!  I'm game, though...

UPDATE:  Okay, so when LeAnn gave me the seeds on Saturday, I had to look up Mountain Laurel.  This morning while playing Words with Friends, my opponent played "kalmia."  I didn't know what it was, so I looked it up.  Know what it is?  Another name for MOUNTAIN LAUREL.  Weird.

No comments: