Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Famed Murphy Bed







I am breaking my self-imposed rule of not posting a project before it's complete... but isn't that what rules are for? I've come to realize that the crown moulding is indefinitely delayed... I need a lesson. Apparently the whole "backwards and upside down" thing is too confusing for a girl who struggled in geometry class in junior high.

So this is it! It meets my needs so perfectly for having a nice guest room and still having open space in that room for day to day use. My guests so far have given it good sleeping reviews, so I will call it a success. Plus, we had fun building it. I plan to total up our construction hours, but haven't done that yet.

You can see it folded up -- meant to look like an armoir. The little wooden squares to above the handles are the legs when the bed is folded down: You can see in the photo that I have one leg extended and one folded in. The legs also operate the latches that hold the bed in the upright position. And then I took a few photos of it down & ready for sleeping. The quilt on it is from Aunt Verna.

The other thing I still need to do is figure out what to do with that open space that's left when the bed is folded down; it looks sort of plain. I may paint it, I may tack up some great fabric, or it's been suggested that I put up a big map of the State of Texas. Thoughts?

No comments: