Monday, May 21, 2012

DIY Soil Testing

This past weekend I was ready to amend and till the soil in my new beds in front.  I read about a DIY soil test to determine if my soil is alkaline or acidic.  (I'll give credit where credit is due:  http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf85637370.tip.html ) 

You can follow the link and read for yourself, but roughly the technique is this:

Scoop up some soil and put it in 2 cups.  (If you want to you can scoop from topsoil and from a few inches below the surface and mix them together.)

To the first cup add 1/2 cup vinegar.  To the second cup add 1/2 cup baking soda, and then a 1/2 cup water.

If the vinegar one fizzes, your soil is alkaline.  If the baking soda one fizzes, your soil is acidic.

I did the vinegar one first, and went to my pantry to get the baking soda.  Before I got back, the glass with vinegar had fizzed over the top like a souffle, and all over my counter!   (Note:  conduct this test outdoors... lol)   I guess I got my answer...


Nothing at all happened with the baking soda glass.

No comments: