Friday, March 16, 2012

Smothering. Or not.

Thursday morning I was out watering my garden - just about everything has sprouted - so fun! - and was looking rather forlornly at the huge patch of small weeds... wondering what to do about those...

I decided to give tarping them a try -- if it didn't work I wouldn't be out anything but the 10 minutes it took to put them down:



The dog was unsure about the whole set up at first -- sniffing around the edges -- but then!  Oh it's great fun to prance around on the tarps!  I think she was sure it would get her in trouble i.e. get her some attention but heck, I don't care... run your 70 pound self all over those weeds!  Accordingly, they quickly lost their allure.

Then I came to work, and Googled, "smother weeds with tarps" and everything I read said it won't work for a variety of reasons -- not totally dark under the tarps, or I should have tarped them much earlier in the season, and even then it would take 6-8 weeks (weeks!) -- the list went on.  So... there they are.  Apparently doing no good whatsoever.  I guess I'll pull them up this weekend.  At least the weeds "shouldn't" be thriving under there, right, the way they would be in the sunshine?  I've gotta go with that.

No comments: