Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fall Seed Flats

It's hard to imagine that it's time to start seeds for a Fall garden, but from what I've been reading it's not only time, it's past time.  Some local gardeners suggested starting some seeds outdoors a few weeks ago for a Fall garden -- it's been so hot and dry here -- I can't fathom how they would survive.  I had trouble finding the motivation but this past weekend I did get my seeds in starter pots:


I mixed a potting soil mix with all sorts of yummies in it -- the natural version of vermiculite for aeration, some organic compost... I soaked the "black gold" from my worm farm in water from my rain barrels and strained it for super nutrious water... I wrote out little tags, skewered them on toothpicks and marked the ends of my rows so I'd know what was what.  I planted seeds for pumpkins for jack'o'lanterns, carrots, cilantro, parsley, chives, peas, rutabaga, butter lettuce, spinach...   Beautfiul.  How could I go wrong?

Unfortunately, I chose a pen that runs.


This is the only remaining legible tag.  Oh, this is going to be fun.

No comments: