Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Summer Favorite - Gazpacho

We aren't in the heat of the Texas Summer yet, but I've already made my first batch of gazpacho - yum!  When Summer is here, I tend to feel like it is too hot to eat.  Often a huge cup of gazpacho, some crackers, and some hummus is dinner for me.



Here's my favorite recipe, although it tends to change up often:



Summer Gazpacho

2 vine-ripened tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped

2 cups tomato juice

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1 stalk celery, diced

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced

1 medium garlic clove, minced

1.5 T. extra-virgin olive oil

1.5 T. red wine vinegar

1 T fresh lemon juice

kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1T. chopped fresh parsley

1 T. chopped fresh chives

2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, as garnish



Puree all but the basil... let rest in fridge overnight so that flavors blend -- enjoy!  This recipe makes very 2 generous meals for one.



When I made this batch, I used parsley, chives and basil from my garden.  Hopefully when Summer is in full swing I'll be using homegrown tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and jalapenos!

No comments: